Everybody is currently talking about ‘Social Media’ and if you are not currently using it, then many people feel that they should be. From it’s title, the word ‘Social’ indicates that it is something that people use as individuals in their leisure time for personal benefit. So what exactly is it and can it be used and applied beneficially to you and your business?
What is Social Media?
Simply explained, social media is a range of online tools and platforms that people (your customers) use to share opinions, insights, experiences and perspectives with each other. The process of sharing this information is often called ‘Online Conversations’. It can take many forms including text, images, audio and video. Popular platforms for social media are blogs, message boards, podcasts, wikis, youtube, twitter and of course facebook.
How can it help me and my business?
There can be many benefits for you and your business in the effective use of social media. First it must be understood that the online conversations that are taking place about your brand, products and services can not be controlled and managed by you. Instead you need to ensure that you are contributing to the conversation, responding, informing, engaging and subtly promoting your business.
‘Technology is shifting power away from the editors, the publishers, the establishment, the media elite. Now it’s the people who are in control’.
If customers are talking positively about your brand, then it is good to know what they like, provide more of the same and indeed build upon your strengths. Alternatively, if customer dissatisfaction is expressed through social media, would you not wish to respond and demonstrate how you have addressed an issue and actually care about your customers?
Social media can be effectively used to:
- Research what your customers think and find out what they want
- Increase brand awareness
- Create positive online public relations
- Respond to and limit negative online public relations
- Engage with your customers anytime and anywhere
- Improve your search engine rankings
- Provide better quality leads
Social media facts
The following video demonstrates the speed of growth that social media has had, its current impact and its future engagement in our lives.
Social media best practice examples
Below are a some videos demonstrating the effective use of social media.
1. Old Spice Responses Campaign – Never has there been a social media campaign which has gained the interest of so many people in such a short space of time. Reaching 1.6 billion impressions and increasing sales by 50% in just 6 months, this is an exemplar demonstration of how multiple social network channels can be used effectively together. This video is the benchmark in the industry. Watch the video case study below and you will understand why…. pure genius.
2. Tippex – Shows how video can be interactive and fun for the customer. The ‘Hunter shoots the bear’ campaign illustrates how the whole youtube screen can be used to promote your product. This addictive video engages the viewer by capturing their curiosity. Watch the video and you will see what we mean!
2. Ikea showroom – Demonstrates how you can effectively engage with your customers. A wonderful example of how you can create interest in you brand by offering an incentive of a prize to the viewer. An excellent illustration of how tagging a photo can virally distribute your brand through a social network.
Why not see how we can help you with your social media marketing